Sunday, January 01, 2006

Apartment Update and Call for Prayers

I'm I love with my new apartment!!!

We just moved our stuff in two days ago and yesterday Husband and I spent the day assembling and try to arrange the furniture. All the stuff that was crammed into the Sharjah apartment now looks great spread out in this much larger apartment. The place looks great already, except for mountains of boxes stacked everywhere.

We are heading back again today to continue the work.

I can't wait till we get electricity and can make the move complete.

A sad note: Yesterday, on the way back to Sharjah from the apartment we saw a woman get hit by a taxi while trying to cross the road. Husband was driving and watched as the woman trying to cross a busy road. She was going forward and backward to avoid an oncoming taxi. Unfortunately, the taxi driver was also going back and forth in the lanes to try to avoid her but ended up hitting her at a very high speed. I turned and looked in time to see her fly 8 feet straight up into the air and land on the taxi hood just as we passed on the other side of the divided road. It was horrifying!!! I'd never seen anything like that and Husband who as a taxi driver in Chicago for nearly 25 years hadn't either. We stopped and phoned the police.

Please pray for that poor woman. I read the newspaper this morning hoping to find word of her condition, but the papers reported nothing.

Divided roads with no pedestrian crossings, heavy and fast traffic make UAE a leader in pedestrian fatalities.

6 Comments:

At 8:54 PM, Blogger knicq said...

This is scary and depressing. Hope and pray she survived, and also hope and pray the taxi driver does not get into trouble, because it looks like it was not his fault...

A sad situation for both parties involved. They've got to press ahead with those jay-walking penalties to discourage people form risking their own and others lives like that. One only hopes the jay-walking penalties will be more effective than the speeding fines.

On a different note, congratulations on the new move. When's the move to Dubai planned for now?

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Dawn and KNICQ: Thanks for your prayers. I have often wondered about the taxi driver too. Even after seeing the situation, I don't know if he was partly responsible except I know he was traveling pretty fast (as does everyone else on that road when the traffic is open.)

KNICQ: I've tried to hijack our moving trucks to Dubai, somewhere closer to work, but they faught me off.

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger S'mee said...

Oh Carol! My heart and prayers will be with you and also the driver and pedestrian. Thank goodness you were there to help as quickly as you did.

I pray that the images dim quickly and that soon something pleasent comes to replace them. Hugs.

 
At 3:22 AM, Blogger Amira said...

I hate crossing the streets in Bishkek, although they are much better than the streets in Cairo. But I wasn't trying to get my two children across in Cairo. The icy roads in Bishkek just make it worse. I am very glad (and lucky) that we haven't seen an accident yet. I don't want my children to see that- or be one.

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger hemlock said...

ouch.
ive seen more accidents than i care to recall, and a number of them AS they were happening.
may allah protect us all from such freaky ends.

 
At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. Tyre city wide face lift and daily star How to give and have great phone sex Site double optin email marketing

 

Post a Comment

<< Home