Saturday, September 09, 2006

Silver and Gold

I had a great evening last night with friends both old and new. We had a sort of Pakistan-based blogger reunion last night at Villa KNICQ. We reunited with the bubbly and ever noxious Hemlock, newly arrived to Dubai, our favorite crayon in the pack, Li'll Grey, and the pithy Owl. Joining us was another Dubai newbie from church, Ann.

We spent the night remembering good times past, and planning bright futures for our Dubai newbies. Zaman's impressive skill of fast driving and faster eating were fondly remembered in his absence. The kids all played fantastically together and the adults enjoyed a lavish Lebanese grilled spread and great company thanks to the superb hosting skills of wild and wacky KNICQ-bhai and the quiet but welcoming Wifey. (Wifey doesn't speak much but whenever she has the ball she shoots and scores 3 pointers with ease.)

In spite of (or because of) our different ages, national origins, religions, marital status, etc, we all had a great time and the old got along with the new. It reminded me of this classic poem:

Silver and Gold
Make new friends, but keep the old;
Those are silver, these are gold.
New-made friendships, like new wine,
Age will mellow and refine.
Friendships that have stood the test-
Time and change-are surely best;
Brow may wrinkle, hair grow gray;
Friendship never knows decay.
For 'mid old friends, tried and true,
Once more we our youth renew.
But old friends, alas! may die;
New friends must their place supply.
Cherish friendship in your breast-
New is good, but old is best;
Make new friends, but keep the old;
Those are silver, these are gold.

5 Comments:

At 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww! =)
I'm happy that you guys had a mini get-together.
I hope hemmie is ok.
Lovely update Momma.

 
At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely poem Momma...for someone whose name means friend, this qualifies as a mantra...*makes note to memorize the poem*...*forgets the note*...*makes note to remember the note and memorize the poem*

With the three days of winter just around the distant corner, I suggest we make plans for a major blogger get together...er..er.

I can think of at least four others, and if you count JB amongst them as a non-blogging blogger, five of them that can add to the festivities...:)

Thanks for making that a lovely evening...

p.s. wifey has been running around asking for the ball ever since she read this...she's motivated to score those three points over and over...and I don't like the sound of that!

 
At 11:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh
momma. ive gone mad and positively non blogging since ive come around...
gorsh! *goofy style*

 
At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not sure if I should be encouraged or outraged...I am the author of this poem. I wrote it in high school (c. 1989-90), along with several others, and count this my best work. Considering that several lines are unique (poor grammer etc to get the rhyme right), the likelihood of this a duplicate work is nigh impossible.

What makes the whole situation odd is that I have no idea how my poem could have circulated to the internet. In any case, while I can't "prove" I am the original author to an online community, I still humbly request you add a signature line of M.G. (Michael Gagnon)

Thanks.

 
At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, this is embarrassing. Evidently, credit of this poem goes to Joseph Parry (1841-1903). He titled it, "New Friends and Old Friends".

While I have no memory of reading his work, the facts are pretty alarming to me. The words are identical to what I had composed, and I have vivid memories of working on the words of this poem in my bedroom, not plagiarizing them out of a book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home