Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Happy Saint Patty's to you all...

I'm not a real Irish-person, but one of those many generations of mixed mongrul American Irish, but still I wish you a happy day and a great Spring.

Our family didn't even know we had any Irish connection till my Mom got the family genelogy on my Father's side back across the Pond. I turns out that a certain Irish coachman, working in Scotland fell in love with the Master's daughter. She fell for him, and as the story goes, the two fled to Ireland and then on to the States to preserve the head of her beloved husband from her angry father. So, that's the start of our Irish genelogy. Geneology is great stuff. (not to be confused with geology, the study of rocks.)

My Mom has been keeping us intrigued with tales she digs up in dusty musty archives and private libraries. Our ancesters were quite a bold and fast moving bunch. There were the 6 brothers in Pennsylvania who fought with George Washington, then later some of the family moved into the Kentucky area with Daniel Boon. They were in the area when a HUGE earthquake (New Madrid Quake) shook the region, toppled trees and ran the Mississippi river backwards. Very few white people lived there then and though history books say there were no deaths associated with the quake, I had a relative who was killed by a falling chimney. All the fences fell down and the animals fled in terror. Strong aftershocks shook the area for months, making the people feel the Devil had posessed the land. They wanted to leave, but when the fences fell, the animals ran away and it took months to catch their animals again.

Anyhoo, geneology is a great thing. If anyone wants to try his hand in tracking down his relatives, I suggest you contact lds.org or mormom.org to get info and ideas. Mormons are the worlds greatest geneologists and have the worlds greatest collection of geneological records, most of which is on line and available freely to the public. You got question, they got answers and love to help people get started.

But today being the American holiday to celebrate Irish roots, I will go out and do our family traditions. We always go out for a McDonald's shamrock shake. One of my other Irish family lines is McDonald. So it's cool minty shamrock shakes for everone in the house (my house) on me. I must admit, I've raised a few celebatory glasses in anticipation this week. Last week when I was out driving with a co-worker, I saw the sign at McD's advertizing the shakes. After I dropped her, I stopped in and had one by myself. (Isn't drinking alone one of the 10 signs of adiction?) I hadn't had a McD's shake since I left the country in '01. I ordered a large and was shocked by 1) it's huge size and 2) it's huge cost, nearly $3.00! Well, it was cool, minty and oh so good, so the next day I was out with a co-worker and we had one together. Yum.

Then on Saturday, I drove to McD's to get our work lunch and brought back shakes for everyone (company money)! None of these co-workers had ever had one and they all enjoyed them very much. (even the lactose intolerant Maria- sometimes it is better for us to pass through pain that we may know pleasure) Since Saturday I've been bugging my co-workeirs with the oft repeated question, "What's today's date... is it St Patrick's day yet?" Yesterday co-worker #1 tried to encourage me to jump in the car and get shakes again for everyone, but I passed up the tempation. I was saving myself for today. Today, Yes TODAY!!!

So without further ado, I shall bid you farewell, I have a date with destiny. I must head off the the nearest McD's and kick back a few pints.

I leave you with this Irish prayer and an Irish Blessing

An Irish Prayer

May those who love us, love us;
and those who don't love us,
may God turn their hearts;
and if He doesn't turn their hearts,
may he turn their ankles
so we'll know them by their limping.

Irish Blessing

May the road rise up to meet you,
May the wind be ever at your back
May the sun shine warm upon your face
And the rain fall softly on your fields
And until we meet again, May God hold
you in the hollow of his hand

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home