Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Lost in the land of the rich

I awoke this morning from visions of well prepared ethnic food over-spilling my plate. Today was the St Somebody Charity Scrabble game and luncheon. (no disrespect, I really can't remember the name of the church that hosts it.) I dressed in my finest Memsahib shalwar qameez, put on lots of daytime make-up in subdued tones to distract from my blonde version of Michael Jackson jerry-curl hair, and left the house promptly on time (minus 10 minutes).

To my shock and displeasure, the family car was MIA. I fussed and fumed my way back into the house, "I've had it with his lack of memory! (This was the second time this week my husband has taken the car in the morning when I had reminded him the night before that I needed it.) I tried to calm myself while waiting by reviewing the directions to the luncheon. I looked inside my notebook only to find that 1/2 the page with the address and contact numbers of the event were missing. ( Blame Abez and her paper miserliness for nicking that 1/2 sheet.) [abez sez: I didn't do it!!!]

My anger rose. I tried to find the number of a friend I knew who would also attend. Further frustration, then success. Hubby called 10 minutes later saying he had remembered I needed the car, but he had had a flat tire and was 5 minutes away.

I rushed out to meet him and he handed me 500 rupees and said, "You MUST put gas in the car." Further bother. I drove the rest of the way like a hellion, accidentally squealed my tires on take off from a red light, and ran over a butterfly! (I feel soooo guilty.)

I found the place I thought was the address, ( it was either gate 4 or 5, my friend wasn't sure of which) I pulled into gate 5. It was a huge estate, beautifully landscaped with winding driveway, and picturesque bridge leading to a huge villa. Since I don't speak Urdu, I asked the guards in English, "Is there a ladies luncheon here today?" I couldn't even remember the name of the hostess. He waved westward.

"At the next house?" I asked. His blank look didn't give me any clue. I then returned to the road and proceeded to the nest estate. It wasn't #4, but had a name at the gate. The same question to this guard raised no reply. I returned to the road and drove home in a fit and tizzy. And that is the one minute blog Abez challenged me to write about my morning. So there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home