Friday, October 22, 2004

Woo Hoo!!! Momma's got her blue jeans ON!

Nine months of the year, I wear shalwar kameez, the national dress of Pakistan. I love shalwar kameez. They are elegant, cool in the heat, and are figure-forgiving (and I've gotta lotta figure to forgive.)

Last year, I spent 11 months in the States and wore western clothes almost all the time. Whenever I was out shopping and would see a desi (Indian or Pakistani) woman in her shalwar kameez, I would admire hers and long for mine. I did have a couple dressy ones that I wore to church a few times and always got fabulous comments from men and women alike. *Must stop typing long enough to use both hands to shove head back into proper size*

But when it cools down it's time to dress for warmth and then I don blue jeans, sweatshirts and sneakers. Poor Hubby hates it and doesn't want to be seen with me wearing them. Being a foreign wife, puts me in the “trophy wife” category. No matter how causal, ethnic or grungy he dresses, I'm supposed to be dressed to the nines when we are out in public. Note: As you can tell by my photo above, me being a trophy wife is absurdity to the nth degree and a very blogworthy topic!

Yesterday he gave me a glaring look and asked, "Is this part of your rebellion?"

"No," I replied with a sweet smile, "It's my national dress."

That always shuts him up. You can take the girl outta the country, but you can't take the country outta the girl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home