Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The U-A-What...Where?

I've been in the States for three days now and my first telling of where I've come from has resulted in the blank look and "Where is that?" follow-up question. I would expect such from an uneducated person, but this man was a bank officer and a college educated person. When he asked me the fateful question,I knew right away not to answer Ajman, 'cause let's face it, half the people in the UAE don't know where or what Ajman is, but before I could answer, my son volunteers; "The UAE...United Arab Emirates. Dubai?, Sharjah?..." (more blank look) I guess I'm going to say I'm from Arabia and just leave it at that. "No, not Saudia Arabia, the other less know one," I'll say.

Things I miss already.
The other half of my family.
Warmth and sunshine. It's 70-degrees here and I'm freezing.
Washroom sprays
Light switches on the outside of the bathroom. Yes, I know light switches are supposed to be in the inside of the room like they are here, but I've lived abroad where they are on the outside that I'm used to that now.

4 Comments:

At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Y'know... there's this thing called the internet that helps people from distant parts stay in touch. Touch - something you can't do through it (yet), but sound and vision and typing and stuff you can.

Your family will miss you but I'm sure you'll all be in touch as much as ever.

Love 'Thyme'

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger Zee said...

Hi momma. *hug*

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger wayfarer said...

You know - that makes sense to have the switches on the outside. Too bad they don't do it here. Would stop one from searching in the dark for the switch in unfamiliar homes. I like this..

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Carol said...

Thyme, I'm still waiting for a cyber hug option till then consider yourself (Sunday Hugged).
Wayfarer: I've decided I want the best of both worlds with switches on the outside AND inside.

Carol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home